Monday, April 9, 2007

Techno-no-logy

One of the students before afternoon class today asked, "Why are we learning techno-no-logy?" I said, "You mean technology? Because it's a good skill to know, how to use the computer, use I-Movie, the camera, etc." I thought it was a strange question, but that's ML, a 7th grader. She wants to be a comedian when she grows up.

Our conversation before class rang in my ears as I walked through Circuit City tonight on my quest for the cable needed to connect my video camera to the computer. On the way out I stopped by the Verizon Wireless counter as I am due a new phone. As I browsed the many models of LG's, Razers, Samsung's, I felt overwhelmed. Which phone should I get? One that plays MP3s, connects me to the internet so you can check e-mail, takes great pictures, videos, is easy to use when texting. Heaven forbid I get txt-thumb-injury, which is a true malady in places like Asia where txting is an cheap means of communication. Camera phones are up to 2.0 megapixels which is pretty good. The sales guy showed me the new tv phone. Frowning at the idea of watching tv on a phone, I quipped, "Whatever happened to just calling someone up?" He retorted, "It's technology, you gotta keep up." I did take the brochures he gave me.

I left the store after purchasing the needed cable without a new phone. This is what I want. Instead of a phone that will give me clear pictures of a beautiful place. I'd rather be in a beautiful place and see it in person. Instead of watching tv on a phone, I hope to be at home watching tv or in a theater watching a film on big screen. Instead of using my phone for e-mail, I'd rather using my laptop and catch free wifi at a cafe. I don't want to be traveling around so much that I can't use a laptop, a phone or a tv. Well, unless I was in the mountains on a hike, but then again, I'd rather be present to the place, then checking my e-mail. Maybe it's me, but ML the 7th grader has got it right, sometimes you have to put the NO in Techno-no-logy.

5 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

okay, something went amuck with my last comment.

i was trying to say that now that i check my email on my phone, i spend the majority of my computer time writing.

mercury in retrograde, anyone?

Unggoy Mixtress said...

Actually, I should write another blog called "Putting the know in technology. There are advantages to it, definitely. I see the explosion in what phones can do as reflective of how much we multi-task. Now is that a good thing, multi-tasking all the time?

CC said...

Many times I wish I could detox from technology. There was an article in the Advertiser a month or so ago about a communications grad student who did an experiment. She eliminated all technology post 1960s(?) from her lifestyle. No cellphone, touchtone, wireless phone, email, answering machines, faxes, microwaves, you get the picture. I think she did it for a month. If people wanted to get in touch with her (her students), they had to see her in person, make an appointment, or leave a note on her door or with the dept secretary. She didn't use contact lenses, or other "technology" regarding grooming, laundry care, vcrs, cable, ATMS, credit cards, etc.

Needless to say, her life sounded maybe a bit cumbersome (for those who wanted to contact her or if she wanted to microwave food for dinner), but it freed up an incredible amount of time. The clutter of messages and informational distractions were eliminated. She wrote with a pencil and paper, or a typewriter. She watched three channels. She read the daily paper. She exercised outside (no gym to go to). She found more time to practice the piano. She spent wayy less money, since she only bought with cash, and only products/needs that were in alignment with her time capsule period.

It may seem like cutting oneself off from the world, but it's renewing to real-time human connection, and human senses. It nurtures patience, and allows the unknown to exist and feed a different timeline of curious discoveries. Looking up things in books and dictionaries instead of google. Asking people about their knowledge and stories - and face to face, more likely!

I wonder what kind of technology cleanse I can go on this summer....
--cindy

Slayerella said...

Hee--being a rather inundated techie these days, I reallty appreciated your "raging against the tech." Reminds me to turn off so I will not keep tuning out.